Hi, The 812 error seems appearing for several reasons: - when Server Network Policy and Client Connection Profile don't match on the Authentication Protocol. Check Point Mobile for iPhone and iPad is ideal for mobile workers who have iPhone or iPad devices. The user does not require administrator privileges on the endpoint machine. Windows reinstall - this is the last thing I would to do. As stated, this keeps happening after about a month. When we went to check on the affected computer just now the checkbox was checked but the radio button was off. Sorry for my bad English.
The reason code returned on termination is 828. I also find that my Google apps are reset each time I reboot. I see that you have tried some troubleshooting steps in an attempt fix the issue but the issue still persists. I have added the tunnel type to the policy, just to try it out. As a result, I can't access One Drive, or the Windows Store at all.
It also gives secure access to Capsule Docs protected documents. You can install or repair the component on the local computer. See this post if you receive a popup. It is a free client and does not require additional licenses. I hope someone finds a fix and wanna share with us.
I disabled all policies and that didn't help either. Method 2 will switch your Microsoft account to a local account and switch back to a Microsoft account, hope this will fix all the issues. Windows Live support has directed me to ask this question to the Windows 10 community. Starting from Endpoint Security E80. Hopefully someone will find a workaroudn for this. But that did not solve my problem, because we're not using this update for now company's internal policies.
I'm re-created the connection and checked all the setting suggested in this topic already. I've searched the forums and cannot see an issue like this noted. There select change account type. License count per concurrent connected devices. Logged in to vnp pings to remote server good.
Edit: Just to be clear to anyone else running into this thread - this advise is only good for a single node deployment. I've setup at least 4 Windows 10 systems since I posted my cry for help last week. I'll try again at a later date, its starting to get frustrating haha. It supplies secure connectivity and access to web-based corporate resources and Microsoft Exchange services. Specifically, the authentication method used by the server to verify your username and password may not match the authentication method configured in your connection profile. Using my Android Phone I can put all that in and I can connect. Turning it back on fixed the problem.
But found out that the problem is in windows. My local network address is: 172. The detailed error message is provided below. Saved me a lot of time. I'm not real win10 fluent as I'm usually usuing linux and bsd.
I have tried various settings but I am no able to get it to work. It protects only the business data inside the App and does not require device-level security measures, such as device-lock or device-wipe. Hope that helps someone else. It is now available for Windows 10. It will work for a month or so, then stop working. One user can't connect to remote server. With iPhone no problems at all to connect through internet.